Clashes in Egypt’s Sinai after jihadists kill 30

Clashes in Egypt’s Sinai after jihadists kill 30

Egypt’s army and jihadists clashed in Sinai Friday, leaving two children dead, as President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi flew home early from an African summit after militant attacks killed at least 30 people.
The top brass vowed to hunt down those behind the violence.
Health officials said a six-month-old baby was hit in the head by a bullet during the clashes and a six-year-old was killed in a rocket blast in the Sinai Peninsula.
Two more people including a 12-year-old were badly wounded.

Security officials said the bodies of the 30 victims, most of them soldiers, had been flown to Cairo.
Sisi pulled out of an African Union summit in Ethiopia and flew home “to monitor the situation”, his office said.
It was the deadliest wave of attacks since October when 30 soldiers were killed and scores wounded in simultaneous assaults.

AFP

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*